By Sophie Haslett for Daily Mail Australia
22:36 26 February 2023, updated 23:03 26 February 2023
- A mother wraps her vegetables in aluminum foil to keep them fresh
- Said she still has lettuce from January because the foil keeps it airtight and fresh
One mom shares the simple trick that keeps her vegetables fresh for months, and all you need is some aluminum foil.
An Australian woman named Cassie posted on Facebook, where she said she wraps items like lettuce, carrots and celery in foil – which helps them keep for ‘weeks to months’.
‘I’ve had this lettuce with a use-by tag since January and it’s still crispy and edible,’ wrote Cassie.
‘I’m the only one who eats it and I don’t use too much at a time. Wraps or Taco Bowls etc for lunch.
She said that to do this, she “wrapped the whole salad in foil and put it in a bag”.
The reason why al foil works so well at keeping food fresh longer is because the foil protects the food from airborne bacteria and fungal spores, and it helps to retain moisture, which keeps food from drying out more quickly. Not there.
It also works well with food in the freezer as it is more airtight around the food.
Chantel Mila’s Tips for Making Food Last Longer
1. Freeze extra tomato puree in ice cube trays – it will last for months
2. Store an Apple With Your Potatoes to Prevent Spouting
3. Storing Tomatoes Upside Down to Increase Shelf Life
4. To keep green vegetables fresh for a long time, keep paper towels on them
5. Keep Your Marshmallows in Brown Sugar to Avoid Hardening
6. Keep Nut Butters Upside Down to Prevent Separation
7. Put ajwain in water to keep it crispy for longer
8. Store Lemons With Avocados to Prevent Browning
9. Place the herbs in the vase over a plastic bag with water to prevent them from wilting.
Source: Mama Mila
Hundreds of people who viewed the post thanked Cassie for sharing the hack.
‘Wow if this actually works that’s amazing! One person wrote, ‘I hate salads being soggy, I’ll try it if I remember.
‘I’m going to try it with today’s fresh salad,’ added another.
Others shared their own tips and tricks for keeping vegetables fresh.
‘I bought a lettuce container, it lasts for ages!’ One person wrote.
‘I’ve heard it will brown slower if you cut it with a plastic knife instead of a metal one so that’s what I’m doing. Never would have thought to wrap it in foil,’ said another.
A third added: ‘So do I. Works perfect. I also do it with shallots and herbs.